me?me...me!!!

Sunday, September 03, 2006

"go dutch"

"go dutch", a phrase that i had learnt from my "stxxxy & !*^$%#%^&*" ex-supervisor, which will always imprint in most of our mind (anyone who are the same department with me before under that supervisor will know what i am talking about (",)).
Coincidently, I encountered another phrase related to "dutch" again today during my reading through a technical document, which trigger my curiosity on the "dutch" word. Indirectly as well, the "go dutch" phrase or "dutch" word will always synonym to the "be-loved" ex-supervisor.
Here are a few "dutch"s that I found from "www.dictionary.com". Enlightening :) Enjoy... Do share with me if you find more "dutch" related phrase/idiom etc

"go dutch" - to have each person pay his or her own expenses: a dinner where everyone goes Dutch.
"in dutch" - in trouble or disfavor (with someone): in Dutch with the teacher for disturbing the class.
[my own best example: I am totally in dutch with my ex-supervisor for millions of reasons]
"double dutch" - 1. Language that cannot be understood, gibberish, as in They might have been speaking double Dutch, for all I understood. This usage dates from the 1870s (an earlier version, however, had it as high Dutch) and is heard less often today than the synonym double talk; 2. A game of jump rope in which players jump over two ropes swung in a crisscross fashion.
"high dutch" - Very abstract; difficult to comprehend or surmount; grand; noble

8 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home