me?me...me!!!

Saturday, April 19, 2008

law

Disclaimer: all the contents in this post/blog are purely my sole opinion/speculation from hearsay and has nothing to do with any other person/entity or representing the view of any company/organization. The accuracy of the content is my pure interpretation at my best knowledge and should be used at your own risk & discretion.


Aside from getting some idea about house reno, I met some interesting friends just now at my friend's house warming. Actually, I only knew a few of them, and they all are bunch of high school friends who have been through thick and thin.

Since I went there alone, I joined into their group of school friends as an "alien", listening to their catching up & remember-the-good-old-school-day conversation. Kinda awkward, but they all are very friendly and welcomed me warmly, therefore I chipped into the conversation as well =)

One particular topic that I want to share about in this post is a couple of interesting cases in today's laws world. Apparently, lawyers do discuss day to day cases or top cases in the country (sourced from BAR) with other lawyers (and sometimes with friends) as part of their experience enriching/gaining process.

As a matter of fact, most of my friends are engineers, and rarely anyone from the law side. The only law realities that I have been exposed to are the house loan agreements, the "Lingam" case and some cases that being "rehearsed" in the "comedycourt". I mean, how often can you heard about real cases quote from a lawyer? Very interesting and funny, because law is created by human to organize human, but it is not perfect =)

Both cases are about marriage

Case1
There is this one recently top case being discussed and only to be known in today's Malaysia "law world", where a plaintiff institutes a suit in court to sue her husband for causing her to lose her virginity. But the thing is, they had registered as husband and wife some years back, had wedding reception too, but thing takes a u-turn this day, causing some "unhappy feeling" that leads to this "interesting" suit. The most interesting part is, the lawyers did went to a great length in discussing the case, including finding a standard/method to define virginity etc

Case2
A wife called up a lawyer seeking consultation, asking for advice whether to "divorce" or to "nullified of marriage" (I don't really remember the exact term, but I directly translate from mandarin). Although both term seems alike, but they are different. The wife claimed that she and her husband have NOT had sex before although they have been registered for 2 years. Reason is the wife and husband stayed separately, and they are the conservative one who think they can only do "that" after the traditional wedding reception. Therefore, ideally AND in this case AND if the wife claim is true, the "nullified of marriage" is the path to go, because with this, the girl is still "jade girl" (directly translated from mandarin). But the lawyer cant believe her, although not probable. Because if the lawyer took up the case, the lawyer will be in an awkward position in front of judge if the husband claimed that they had sex before. I mean, how to prove that? It will be a long................ case...............

Moral of the 2 stories, marriage cases are complicated to handle for lawyer yet interesting, and if a lawyer want to be on the safe side & 9 to 5 routine, better stayed on the property cases. Just a thought =)

Lastly, in an unrelated note, all hail to the not-so-new government initiative to reform the judiciary system in our country from the highest level.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home