me?me...me!!!

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

mind your language

Do you guys remember years back, there is a tv show called "mind your language"?

A night class english teacher teaching a mix races of students, got an intalian, indian, singh, chinese etc. I love that comedy very much at that time, especially the indian always said "thousand of apologies". A very funny show :)

Well, overhere, I have discovered some quite interesting terms when I did my readings. How many terms below that you recognize? How to pronounce them? I myself dont really know how to pronounce them although I knew the meaning and usage now :)

=> mea culpa
=> quid pro quo
=> vis-a-vis
=> as passe as
=> de fac.to
=> in lieu

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • It happens that i have seen a few of these word..not sure the meaning that you got is same as what i know....pai seh if it is not the same..k?just a sharing...=p

    mea culpa-to apologize or im sorry
    quid pro quo- replace or compensate
    Vis-a-vis...duno...=p
    as passe as-I know the old beauty called passe belle...not sure how to use this.
    de fac to ...duno...=p
    in lieu - replace.

    By Blogger Unknown, At 8/21/07, 6:15 PM  

  • Its english class time again :) flyingdance is correct most of the guess.
    mea culpa - (latin) through my fault, used as an acknowledgment of one's responsibility
    quid pro quo - this for that
    vis-a-vis - in comparison with, in relation to, in respect of, with reference to, concerning, about, a propos, with regard to, versus
    as passe as - No longer current or in fashion; out-of-date; Past the prime; faded or aged.
    de fac.to - in fact; in reality
    in lieu - instead; as substitute

    By Blogger rukawa, At 8/22/07, 7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home