me?me...me!!!

Saturday, August 18, 2007

phishing

A term to decribe certain people trying to solicit for personal information through methods such as emails, phone calls etc, so that later they can perform fraud. Well, i came out with the explanation myself. Not sure whether it is accurate or not :p

I always read from emails or news that there are people like this, especially from taiwan/china trying to phish for information in Malaysia. And today, i have the direct encounter to a person like this. I receive a phone call with a number witheld. When answer, a lady with strong chinese accent introduce herself as Mis "xu", claiming that she is a representative from a electrical company from Taipei, doing survey to understand the market in Malaysia, and will have a lauching event in KL, and i was an invited VIP, was asked for a few general survey questions, and lastly trying to solicit my personal information, such as full name etc. Bunch of bull. May be i am too paranoid, i directly sense it is a fraud, asked her full name (which i think she lie also), asked her how she get my information, she responded in an aggresive tone, trying to scare me that she is for real, saying that she only got my information from spoonsors that only give her telephone number. Asked who the sponsors, she said sorry, she cant provide that. When she asked my name, i said to her she should have my name as the sponsor should have it. I dont give her any information at all. After around 15mins of crab talk, she finally give up as i dont provide any information that she want, she hang up. Well, what a frauder. Writing this post to share my close encounter with you all, and to remind you all to be wary when receive such call, never provide any information at all, not even your full name. I personally think that with your name and phone number, the frauder can do quite an extent of fraud already. Protect yourself from fraud.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Just found out that KennySia has the same call also. I thought it was aftering my information, but actually they are aftering my money. Anyhow, KennySia recorded down the detail conversation, that i hope would help you in differentiate these frauders, and dealt with them accordingly ;)
    http://www.kennysia.com/archives/2007/08/cheated_by_the.php

    By Blogger rukawa, At 8/19/07, 9:54 AM  

  • btw, these kind of fraud is getting more outrages. Seems like almost everyone had this kind of encounter. Be wary.

    By Blogger rukawa, At 8/19/07, 9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home