me?me...me!!!

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Charity Through Sports

Is Saturday, but still have to wake up earlier than normal working day. I didnt go to work today actually, so where did I go???

~~~~~

~~~~~

~~~~~


I went play basketball for charity @ Methodist Boy School, and I would say that I had a really really great time :)

It really felt different stepping back to school compound again after so many years. Apart from felt undeniably old, it brings back many wonderful time in school, and remind of myself how different I am today.

Walking through the classrooms, felt like wanting to sit on the wooden chair & table and make a fool of myself. Anyhow, the size of the chair and table seems awfully smaller, probably I have out grown myself physically but my mind about the past still remain the same.

There are students in the classroom organizing their society's weekly event. There are Science Society, Art Society, History Society ... bla bla bla... And there is this class-packed Chinese Society. Seems like Chinese Society is still the popular choice.

There are students who empty chatted away at free time in the classroom too, talking about anything. Nothing worries them, probably except study pressure and some puppy love thingy, just plain speculating :)

Buying a big bowl of curry mee, or a plate of mee goreng with many ingredients, or a plate of nasi goreng with 2 dishes, and it only cost you RM2 for each plate/bowl. Indeed sound cheap. But ensuing deep thought has remind me of how far different i am since i left school. RM2 may sound cheap to most of working people like us, but for many school children, it is a lot since they dont have income. I remember the time that i have to ration my daily allowance for mee and for junk food. If i want to buy a Tora or mamee i would have to save for them. And if i were to be treated a luxury meal like McD or KFC those days, i will be very very very very happy. The word to be used to describe all these is "appreciate". As of today, I took meals in cafe, McD and KFC are within reaching distance and budget. Really a quantum leap. While I get a mouthful of food everyday now, sometimes I have lost the sense of appreciate. Today's outing remind me of that. Life is like that, need things/events/friends to give you a nudge occasionally to stay true to yourself.

There is this one student who leave an impression to me today. No No No No... Dont get me wrong. It is not about things like love at first sight lar! But is about the character that I see in this student. She is a PBSM (Red Crescent Society) member. She is not tall. She seems to have some problem walking naturally, probably some bone structure deformation. She carries a quite big backpack, with a bottle of water and a first aid kit box. She eat alone (but she is a big eater, she ate a big bowl of curry mee, yet still chewing some biscuits later), walk alone and generally is alone all the time, yet she smile happily. Then i was thinking, why she is always not with the other PBSM member? Is she choose not to or the other choose not to? Popular or unpopular is still the discrimination trend among student i guess.

Anyhow, back to her. At one time, she was like having to carry an empty thermos bucket half the size of her across the field after the event. All the other members has left but she is still around to help the school teacher clearing the mess under the hot sun. At time she even drag the bucket on the field, with her backpack and bottle of water. Seeing this, I hesitated to help or not to help. By the time I pulled out the car key from the ignition (I was going back at that time), she already half way through the field. At the end, I didnt help. You know why i hesitated? Have you ever thought of if you ever help someone handicapped, sometimes (but rarely) it is an insult to them, because some would think that you think they could not even do a simple thing like that. This is the rare case, but i did encounter that before. Sometimes it is better to watch them working hard and putting effort towards their tasks, and give encouragement/praise in the process :) I am sure you might agree with me that she is a hardworking person that doesnt scare of hardship, even at this young. This is the character that I see.

Write so much, still havent touch about the basketball game. Gomen na! :)

10 teams were invited to the Charity Basketball game, but only 8 teams turns up with most teams have just enough a team players. Well, not that I want to brag, but our team is the most experienced/old team. The other experienced team was Dalat (an international school), didnt turn up because they went down KL for another tournament. We won a lot actually from the beginning till the end, but sometimes i do felt that i take no pride winning over the students. Then again, seeing the students played, remind me of the time when i just started to play basketball. I am as clumpsy and as inexperienced. Althought many of them felt helpless against our team, but I could see their burning desire to improve and play better. I am sure if they really put a lot of effort and with the right coaching, they will become good players too. And most importantly, enjoy the process of growing up together, happy or sad, in the basketball team.

Had a short conversation with some students, mostly players, and the most popular question they will ask is "where are you from?" :)

Ok, kodak moment of the great time today.

The morning greeted us with a beautiful sky @ MBS.

the lovely husband and wife :)

The Jit Sin Legendary Basketball player of all time - "zhang jie"

I am really sure that @ that very moment, I got enlightenment about "7118". 4D 4D, anybody?
As usual, my friend still like to play a fool around :)
CY @ free-throw line
My friend was paiseh enough that fail to give flower the the girl


The charity-bought flower and the medal of good times 01262008

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

  • still got basketball game? Long time didn't watch you play already..

    By Blogger junny, At 1/28/08, 12:24 AM  

  • You're a sensitive observer. Not many men have that quality. Keep it up! :)

    Feel extremely touched after reading what you wrote about the big-eater girl.

    Oh yea.. so expensive now.. curry mee for RM2 in schools.. I remember last time I just need to bring RM1 to primary school for a satisfying meal everyday! :)

    By Blogger Xweing, At 1/28/08, 9:38 AM  

  • thanks for not mentioning how sucks my free throw was(is)!

    By Blogger terry, At 1/28/08, 9:48 AM  

  • junny: yeah, since got injured, din really active in competition, but this is for charity :)
    xwei: yeah, RM2 do sound expensive d compare last time
    terry: hehe, i didnt mention, but you mention about it wor :)

    By Blogger rukawa, At 1/28/08, 11:48 PM  

  • nice post. Chin Leong = gentle giant

    By Blogger Unknown, At 1/30/08, 10:33 PM  

  • You have a point on money sense there. Once we get used to a certain lifestyle its very difficult to cut back...I can't imagine living frugally with RM250 budget permaonth like in uni.

    By Blogger leonardlcy, At 1/31/08, 3:38 PM  

  • MM: sure this is a praise?
    leo: no need to cut back the lifestyle, but reminisce where you from, and appreciate :)

    By Blogger rukawa, At 1/31/08, 11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home